Pages

Friday 13 March 2015

You Are Free to Choose Your Home Care Provider

Freedom of choice is a bit like freedom of speech. Most people would agree that both are fundamental human freedoms and that they are not absolute – in most cases my freedom (to choose or speak) cannot extend so far that it affects you adversely. Another quality these freedoms share is that we don’t appreciate their importance until we are denied them. Let’s focus on the freedom to choose.

The Freedom to Choose
When I first went to secondary school aged 11 the only thing that I was interested in was sport and the sport above all that I was interested in was football. The academic side of school life held no interest for me. I’d known I was good at football from about the age of 8. I didn’t know that I was also a very good cross country runner; principally because I’d never done cross country until I went to secondary school.

We played football matches on Wednesday afternoons after school. The team for the match would be posted on a notice board on the Monday before the match. There was a football match on Wednesday 21 October 1970 (yes I remember the date). The team was posted on Monday 19 October. As usual my name was there on the team sheet. Unusually, this week, there was a second team sheet on the notice board. It wasn’t a football team sheet: it was a cross country team sheet; I was in the cross country team, and the race was to be on Wednesday 21 October 1970.

Thus it was that I was down to play two different sports, on the same day at two different venues. As far as I was concerned, I would choose to play football. I did nothing about it merely decided that I would turn up for the football team (with the hindsight of 45 years that was not a good move on my part). The football match was to be held at home; the cross country event away at another school. I went to the school changing room after lessons, got changed and waited for the team talk before we went out onto the pitch.

I never got to hear the team talk. The teacher who managed the football team (let’s call him Mr G) came into the changing room with a teacher (I’ll call him Mr A) I did not recognise and pointed to me. Mr A told me that the team bus (cross country team bus) was waiting for me. I explained that I was down to play football. Mr A was the senior of the two teachers. He pulled rank on Mr G and that was that.

Even with the passage of 45 years (that’s almost half a century!) I still recall how I felt at 3.45 pm on Wednesday 21 October 1970. I was angry that people in authority had made a mistake and they were angry with me for choosing what I wanted to do rather than what they wanted me to do.

I felt impotent. I explained my actions as well as I could. I wanted to play football. I couldn’t do both. They wouldn’t listen. A third teacher joined them and all three told me that I had to take part in the cross country event. I just could not get them to accept that they had presented me with the choices of two sports and I had chosen the sport I wanted to play.

There was also a feeling that I had no control over something which I should be in complete control of. The way I reasoned things at the time is exactly how I would reason things now. I accepted that there were things in life over which I had little or no control – I had little choice over the fact that I had to go to school, for example. However, there were parts of my life over which I should be sovereign – such voluntary activities as playing for school teams seemed to fall into the category of activities over which I was sovereign. But my freedom to choose had been wrested from me and, at the time, this felt pretty unfair.

The Freedom to Choose Your Home Care Provider
In the greater scheme of things, the event recounted above is pretty trivial. The experience I had was trivial: but having your freedom to choose taken from you is not trivial. What happened to me might have been a little unfair (no worse than that); however, when it comes to things that matter, having your freedom to choose denied is the most egregious injustice. Having your freedom to choose your home care provider is one of those aspects of your life over which it is of fundamental importance that your freedom is not interfered with.

Home care, or domiciliary care as it is sometimes referred to, is care provided in your home. There is no particular pattern that this care has to take. At one extreme, it could be just one visit a week for one or two hours for someone to help you around your home. At the other extreme care could be provided by a live-in carer. The tasks that carers carry out are wide-ranging. In short, most things short of nursing care can be covered by a home care provider.

Home care is usually provided by private companies. These companies may provide services under contract with social services or directly to individual private clients. The services provided by home care companies allow you to remain living in your home for as long as you are able. This is arguably one of the most important (if not the single most important) contributions that home care providers make to individual people’s lives – and by extension to society in general.

There is little doubt that the desire to remain living in their homes and maintaining as much independence as possible in their lives are two of the most powerful factors that motivate people to choose domiciliary care. There are choices, of course: friends and family may provide care and residential care is an option for some people.

It is important that people who need care have the option to choose care in their homes. But their choices have to go beyond that. It is fundamentally important that people can choose the company that they want to provide their home care. Put yourself in the shoes of someone choosing home care. The position is very simple. The care is being provided in your home. It is absolutely right that you can choose who comes into your home to provide your domiciliary care.

Personalisation
Everybody has a choice when it comes to choosing home care and this includes people who are funded wholly or in part by social services.

There was a time, and it was not so long ago, that the providers of domiciliary care took a paternalistic approach towards their customers. Paternalism means that somebody else knows what’s best for you. In the context of domiciliary care, it was usually social services who thought they knew what was best for you. But things have moved on. Domiciliary care is now guided by the idea of personalisation.

Personalisation is an approach to domiciliary care that is the exact opposite of paternalism. Personalisation recognises that you are the person who knows best what is suitable for you when it comes to choosing domiciliary care.

Therefore, personalisation places you at the centre of everything that happens with regard to your care. It’s all about your independence to choose. Control is handed over to you to be able to choose what type of care you want, who you want to provide that care for you and when you want it provided to you.

Personal Budgets
Of course, the obvious question is how you can have this independence, control and choice over your care if social services are paying partly or in full for your home care? And this is where personal budgets come in. A personal budget is a sum of money that is given to you to pay for the care that you need to meet your eligible needs

To get a personal budget there are two assessments that have to undergo. First, you need to have your care needs assessed. This is called a community care assessment. For more information on community care assessments (specifically in Kent) see Eight things to know about Community Care Assessments by Kent County Council.

Second, you need to have a means test, sometimes referred to as a financial assessment for more information about financial assessments (again, with specific reference to Kent) see How to get financial help for home care from Kent Social Services.

If you are found to have eligible needs following a community care assessment and qualify to have all or some of those needs met by social services you will be offered a personal budget.

Your personal budget can be held by you or by a friend or relative on your behalf. It is also possible for a care provider to administer the budget for you. In some cases, you may want the local authority to administer your personal budget.

Direct Payments
Once you have been awarded a personal budget, you should also be offered an opportunity to receive this in the form of a direct payment. Direct payments work in a very straightforward way. Kent County Council pay an amount of money into your bank account or onto a Kent Card. The Kent Card is a Visa debit card and you can find out more details here. You then use this money to buy your care from a provider of your choice.


Direct payments put you in charge. You are able to choose the company who provides your home care. I said at the start that the freedom to choose is something that we do not realise how important it is until we do not have it. Personal budgets and direct payments have returned to many people a fundamental freedom that had been absent.

Garry Costain is the Managing Director of Caremark Thanet, a domiciliary care provider with offices in Margate, Kent. Caremark Thanet provides home care services throughout the Isle of Thanet. Garry can be contacted on 01843 235910 or email garry.costain@caremark.co.uk. You can also visit Caremark Thanet's website at www.caremark.co.uk/thanet.



No comments:

Post a Comment